Friday, October 8, 2021, 9:30 – 16:00
Auditorium of the University of Applied Arts, Vienna
Vordere Zollamtsstraße 7, 1030 Vienna
Welcome Address: Gerald Bast, Rector of the University of Applied Arts Vienna
Introduction: Wojciech Czaja
10:00 – 10:50 PRINCIPLES OF (MATERIAL) OPTIMIZATION
Minimizing the use of material has a long history in construction, but what are the potentials of questioning material conventions altogether?
Keynote lecture: Jan Knippers, Stuttgart: “Towards a culture of dematerialization in architecture” – online
Response: Clemens Preisinger, University of Applied Arts Vienna
11:00 – 11:50 IDEAS AND TOOLS FOR A CIRCULAR BUILDING CULTURE
This panel assembles exceptional thinkers who will share and discuss ideas and methods that have the power to change the future of architectural culture.
- Renaud Haerlingen | Rotor, Brussels: “Circular change”
- Gwyllim Jahn | Fologram, Melbourne: “Mixed Reality Maquettes: Experimental approaches to building from non-standard materials using the HoloLens” – online
- Erich Kotroczo | SIDE, Vienna/Munich: ”The power of BIM for circular strategies“
- Anupama Kundoo, Pune, India / Berlin, Germany: “Architecture as a Mechanism of Waste Capture: direct reuse of urban waste” – online
- Johann Fellner, TU Vienna: “Limits of the circular economy in construction”
12:00 – 13:00 PANEL DISCUSSION
with Renaud Haerlingen, Gwyllim Jahn, Erich Kotroczo, Anupama Kundoo and Johann Fellner
13:00 – 14:00 lunch break
14:00 – 14:50 THEORY AND PRACTICE
Looking at the bigger picture of the complex challenges in urbanized societies, two speakers with perspectives from theory and practice meet in conversation.
- Keller Easterling, Yale University, New Haven (online): “Building in Reverse” – online
- Daniel Veenboer | Effekt, Copenhagen: “Building Ecosystems” – online
15:00 – 16:00 THE CONCEPT OF PRODUCTIVE REDUNDANCY
Optimized structures can provide functions efficiently, but what happens if we shift the paradigm towards anticipating change?
Keynote lecture: Manja van de Worp |YIP Structural Engineering, London, RCA, IAAC (live): “Rubens Structures: In defense of redundancy for life-long lightness” – online
Response: Wolf Mangelsdorf | Buro Happold, New York / University of Applied Arts Vienna – online
Event held in English
Organized and curated by Karin Raith and Lukas Allner, University of Applied Arts Vienna, moderated by Wojciech Czaja, author, and journalist, Vienna